Monday, January 31, 2011

Social Media/PR Internships

For the most part, anyone who has met me in person quickly comes to know that I love all things Disney. I spent the spring semester of 2010 working at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida on the Disney College Program. It was an experience I absolutely loved and I fully intend on going back to Orlando after I graduate and doing another internship. This second time around though, I plan on doing what is called a Professional Internship.

Professional Internships at Disney are internships that rather than a College Program internship where you could be working at an attraction like It's A Small World, you can work in actual business departments of the Parks and Resorts segment of the Walt Disney Company. The list of internship positions available for the Fall 2011 semester went up today and I am practically drooling over some of the amazing communication positions available.

Out of all of the communication positions 6 specifically list PR or public affairs and about 3 mention social media in the title. My particular favorite is the "Disney’s Fairy Tale Weddings & Honeymoons Social Media & Marketing Intern." I am positive that all of these positions, but especially the Fairytale weddings position, will  have incredibly competitive application pools.

The reason I am posting about these internships is to show that large companies like Disney are increasingly starting to use social media to connect with the public. These internship postings say to me that my interest in social media in relation to PR is justified. Hopefully this social media in PR class will give me an advantage if and when I apply for internships similar to the ones posted right now. At least, I can hope it will.

-M

In case anyone would like to go look at the list of Communication related Disney Professional Internships the link can be found here.

1 comment:

  1. The blog posted is very interesting from all aspects and it will surely benefit the readers by all means.
    social media orlando

    ReplyDelete