Friday, February 18, 2011

Socially Connected Disney Characters

It seems that I have a knack for discovering the more odd Twitter users. In this case, it happens to relate to Disney, which as I have mentioned before, I am quite the fan of.

Not surprisingly The Walt Disney Company is quite the social media user. I am sure I will blog about them again, not only because I love the company, but becuase they offer such a plethora of social media things to talk about. That isn't really the point of this post though. The point of this post is to talk about how they even have characters from their movies interacting with fans via social media.

I haven't poked around to see how many Disney characters have Twitter accounts, but I do know that all of the main characters from the latest Disney animated film Tangled have accounts. For those of you who haven't seen the movie, its based on the Rapunzel fairytale but of course has its own Disney spin. The characters that have accounts include leading lady Rapunzel, her faithful chameleon companion Pascal, the leading man Flynn, Rapunzel's mother Gothel, the city guard horse Maximus, and the Thugs from the Fluffy Duckling.


I think that the characters having Twitter accounts and connecting with fans is a really great idea. Some tweet more than others but in general they have a good follower/following ratio. Pascal is my personal favorite of the bunch. I greatly enjoy reading his tweets and it definitely reminds me of the movie whenever I read them. I'm sure when it gets closer to the DVD release, they will tweet about that to remind fans.

While I think the Twitter accounts definitely work for these characters I wonder if other non animated film characters could pull something like that off. I'm not sure it would work as well, but I would definitely be interested to see someone try it. Any thoughts? Do you think something like that would work?

-M

1 comment:

  1. I think the idea of characters of Twitter is becoming more and more common. Characters sending messages to the fans are a great way for a company to connect to their audience. I wonder if these Twitter accounts were created by Disney workers or just fans. There are a few non-animated characters that have Twitter accounts already but I think that those just exist for entertainment purposes and not to share information to fans. It’s a new way for fans and companies to highlight their creativity in the realm of social media. The only problem I could foresee is a child on Twitter following a non-animated character and not being able to identify that the character is fictional and could misinterpret their tweets.

    ReplyDelete